The 6th Annual Tackling Rogue Landlords Forum will explore the next steps for Local Authorities to effectively tackle rogue and criminal landlords. This event will cover effective strategies for enforcement against rogue landlords to improve housing quality and tackle organised crime, the role that a national landlords register could play, and case study examples of best practice in the sector.
What to expect:
- Practical guidance to improve your enforcement activities to improve housing quality, address harassment and organised crime
- Outlining the impact of the PRS White Paper on enforcement against rogue and criminal landlords
- Assessing the role that the proposed national landlords register could play in the future of enforcement against rogue landlords
- Best practice guidance on implementing and enforcing licensing schemes
- Ask your questions and engage with other attendees in Q&A sessions and panel discussions
- Live Sessions
- On Demand
Before proceedings get underway, this short explainer session will explore how you can get the most out of our new next generation Conference platform.
Our IG Team will run through how to make virtual connections, creating networking meet ups, accessing content on demand and how to use our new Q&A, chat functions and virtual polling tools.
With live events back, we will be kicking off the Forum with interactive icebreakers.
This session will allow you to get to know colleagues from across the sector and explore your key learning objectives for the day.
This session will discuss the PRS White Paper, and it’s impact on strategies for tackling rogue landlords.
Leeds City Council’s Rogue Landlords Unit works with other agencies throughout Leeds to target properties associated with organised crime groups. This session will cover:
- How tackling rogue landlords relates to tackling organised crime, including human trafficking, the drugs trade, and terrorism
- Best practice for developing a “win-win” system for information sharing that benefits all services involved
- Examples highlighting the impact this approach has had on organised crime and rogue landlords in Leeds
Plans for a national registration scheme for private landlords are expected to be announced in the upcoming White Paper on PRS reform. This session will examine how a national register should be implemented, including:
- How a national register would fit into existing licensing and enforcement frameworks, and the rogue landlords register
- Who would be responsible for maintaining the register and its enforcement
- The role a national register would play in implementing a framework for proactive enforcement against rogue landlords
- Discussing how improving enforcement would drive improved standards in private rental properties and address criminal landlords
- Sharing how to create an environment where landlords don’t fear inspections in order to improve the overall quality of private rental properties
- Highlighting how under-utilised Civil Penalty Powers can be used by local authorities to tackle rogue landlords while raising funds that can be re-invested in enforcement regimes
Citizens Advice provide advice and support for tenants in the private rental sector before, during, and after their tenancy. This session will explore the impact of Covid-19 on tenants, including:
- How the end of the eviction ban and furlough scheme impacted tenants
- Outlining how the kinds of support sought by tenants evolved throughout the Covid-19 pandemic and as lockdown eased
- Sharing best practice for supporting the victims of rogue landlords in your local authority
*programme subject to change
- Highlighting the safety implications of substandard living conditions
- Sharing best practice for a multi-agency approach to housing safety
- Examining the role of local authorities in taking a proactive approach to tackling hazards in housing
This Forum is specifically designed for the Housing and Voluntary sector. Typical job titles will include:
- Directors of Housing and Environment
- Enforcement and Planning Officers
- Heads of Housing Services
- Directors of Regulation and Enforcement
- Neighbourhood Planning Officers
- Heads of Planning and Development
- Heads of Service
- Community Protection Manager
- Compliance Manager
- Directors of Public Health
- Environmental and Health Officers
- Service Managers
- Heads of Private Sector Housing
- Directors of Safeguarding